MOT Test ‘money saving tips’
According to government data*, 40% of vehicles fail their initial MOT test, which leads to unnecessary expenses. And while an MOT certificate confirms that the vehicle is roadworthy at the time of testing, it does not, guarantee roadworthiness over the 12 months. To remain safe and continue to enjoy your vehicle, your best bet is to service your vehicle regularly.
To help clients remain roadworthy without breaking the budget, Richie, W Carey Motor Engineer’s chief mechanic has compiled a simple checklist:
- Headlights & Indicators – check and replace broken bulbs
- Brake lights – do they come on when you press the brake pedal? If not, get them checked.
- Tyres – all should have a minimum legal tread depth of 1.6mm (use a 20p coin to check) Also test the pressure, and look for splits, bulges or cuts
- Handbrake – check the tension
- Seats – does the driver’s seat adjust forwards and backwards? If not, get it checked.
- Seat belts – check full length of driver’s seat belt for damage. All seat belts should latch and fasten securely, and lock when you give them a sharp tug.
- Windscreen – check for damage, particularly in the driver’s central view
- Windscreen wipers – check for tears or holes in the wiper rubber
- Suspension check– apply your weight to each corner of the car, if it bounces more than twice the shock absorbers could be faulty get it checked.
- Horn: blast horn. If it isn’t loud enough to attract pedestrians or fellow motorists it needs to be repaired.
- Exhaust: check for leaks by starting the engine in a ventilated space at normal temperature, then listen from the rear of the car for any unusual noises and look out for abnormal smoke.
- Fuel and engine oil: make sure your car is filled with enough fuel and engine oil
W Carey Motor Engineers makes it even easier for Woking’s vehicle owners to get an MOT test. Book your MOT test online today and schedule your vehicle at a time that’s convenient for you. We love all types of vehicles, but we are particularly passionate about BMW’s, Mercedes, Porsches and other high-end vehicles. Whether you want your car serviced or an MOT test, we offer dealer-level services at an affordable rate.
*2014-15 MOT test data for Great Britain